Gladly, on 2016 Barcelona Metro line 9‘s south section will be opened (L9 Sud, in catalan), but there are a few things that you should know before riding the line from the Airport to the Barcelona city centre. Is it the most convenient for you?
L9 and L10 are two services of the Barcelona Metro, they belong to an underground railway project, still under construction, to connect strategic areas in Barcelona Metropolitan Area (AMB) such as Barcelona Airport, FC Barcelona stadium (Camp Nou), Gran Via trade fair venue (Fira Barcelona), the Court of Justice, several universities campuses, Antoni Gaudí‘s Park Güell, the Port, the logistic and industrial area and several cities within the metropolitan area and Barcelona neighbourhoods.
The total system, L9/L10, will have a length of 47.8 km and 52 stations.
Is it open? When does it open?
- L9/L10 north section was opened on 2009 and 2010, currently with 12 stations operating the two services: L9 North from La Sagrera to Can Zam and L10 North from La Sagrera to Gorg.
- The Airport section, L9 South, will be opened on 2016.
Will we be able to use the whole line in 2016?
No, we won’t. North and South sections won’t be connected yet, as the midsection’s construction is paralyzed due to budgetary constraints. L9 South section will open on 2016 and L10 South section on 2018. The rest part is unknown.
L9 South and its connections
Metro & Tram
If you arrive at the Airport Terminal 1 and you want to go to:
- Plaça Espanya area: L9S + L8 at Europa | Fira station.
- L9S + L1 at Torrassa to Sants, Pl. Espanya, Pl. Universitat, Pl. Catalunya and Marina areas.
- L9S + L5 at Collblanc to go to Sants-Estació, Hospital Clínic, Diagonal and Sagrada Família areas.
If you arrive at the Airport Terminal 2 and you want to go to:
- Sants, Passeig de Gràcia, El Clot or Sant Andreu : take the commuter train (Rodalies de Catalunya).
- Pl. Catalunya: it might be more convenient to take the commuter train, and change at Passeig de Gràcia taking Line 3.
- Sagrada Família: Commuter train to Passeig de Gràcia or El Clot and change to Line 2.
The Line 9 is a Barcelona Metro service and an underground railway project, which includes other services (L9/L10), in Barcelona metropolitan area.
Currently with 12 stations in 11.1 km (L9N and L10) serving Badalona, Santa Coloma de Gramenet and the Barcelona neighbourhoods of El Bon Pastor and La Sagrera; and L9S with 15 stations in 19,6 km connecting the El Prat Airport and Zona Universitària in Barcelona.
This underground railway project includes two branches of the Line 10. The total system (L9/L10) will have a length of 47.8 km. It will connect strategic logistics centres, areas of facilities and service such as the Barcelona Airport, Zona Franca (logistics and industrial area), Fira de Barcelona (Barcelona’s trade fair area), the expansion of the Port, the city of Justice, Park Güell, Camp Nou, the Basketball city; as well as service to neighbourhoods that do not have subway (Bon Pastor, Llefià, La Salut, Singuerlín, Pedralbes and Zona Franca), linking five municipalities: Santa Coloma de Gramenet, Badalona, Barcelona, L’Hospitalet de Llobregat and El Prat de Llobregat.
In 2009 was launched the first service between Can Zam and Can Peixauet (L9) and in 2010 between Bon Pastor and Gorg (L10) in Badalona. In 2016 the airport branch was put into service.